Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Going green.

So, being "green" is all the rage these days.  Hybrid cars, solar powered whatevers, organic everything...the list goes on and on.  I am all about helping the environment and being a good steward over what God has entrusted us, so I thought I would share a few things we as a family do to reduce, reuse and recycle.  I hope it inspires you to look at your own life and see little changes your family can make to keep our planet healthy.

- Buy bunk beds for your kids.  You will be changing the sheets a lot less often - trust me -  the only time those suckers get clean is if there is some sort of bodily function disaster that occurs.  And changing the sheets less helps conserve energy and water!

- Our kids only get baths a few times a week.  Now, this isn't necessarily a purposeful act to conserve water...usually I forget when they last bathed, we get too busy or I just don't want to deal with the 100 toys, giant puddles, shampoo meltdowns, or tangled hair, but we use less water nonetheless.  Two points for the environment, and two points for me!
 
-I try to avoid house work as much as possible.  If I clean, I just find garbage to add to our landfills.  By vacuuming, I consume energy and by mopping, I use up our most precious resource, water.  Living in a desert, I really try and focus on conserving water - so I really try to mop as little as possible...

-I also try to avoid cooking.  Using the oven uses gas and electricity and it also heats up the house, forcing us to turn the AC up which wastes more electricity and water!  See how harmful cooking is to the environment?!?  Not to mention the smoke... (what, you don't burn your food?)

-Give your kids chores.  Now, this is really to conserve my energy, but I think it still counts.

This is just a small sampling of things we are doing to make a positive impact on our environment.  I hope you have been inspired to make your own positive changes.  Its the only world God made, lets treat it with care.

2 comments:

  1. hysterical! i have been green for so long but just didn't know it! oh wait, those forgotten wet smelly towels that i had to rerun through the laundry machines tonight...just forget about those!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete