Monday, August 23, 2010

Who am I to judge?

Some of you may know that I have a passion for those affected by human trafficking.  As I hear the stories of those who have been oppressed, victimized, abused, neglected, and abandoned my heart is broken.  It can be easy to judge and look at these victims' parents and say "where were you? how could you? why would you do ______?" But as the Lord has taught me this week, I am no better. 

We know that we all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God (Romans 3:23).  When I am disobedient, when I discipline out of anger and frustration rather that love, when I am willingly following my fleshly desires over the desires of God I am hurting my children. 

My heart was completely broken this weekend as I thought of how my actions could potentially harm my children.  Obviously I am not trafficking my children, but am I teaching them that their worth is in Christ?  Am I showing them the love of Christ?  I don't think we mothers realize the huge responsibility we have in shaping our childrens lives!  Sure, there are the obvious things: teaching them to go to the bathroom, tie their shoes, do laundry, cook, drive.....but what about teaching them that they are everything to Christ?  That their worth and value is not in the tropheys they earn in sports, the grades they get on a report card, or the college they get into? 

These children (and they are children, the average age of entry into prostitution is 12) feel they have no worth, no value.  They don't see the treasure they are in Gods eyes. 

If I teach my girls anything, above all I want them to know that they have hope and a future in Jesus Christ.  I pray that even when I am not all the mom I should be, that Christ will fill in the gap and show them His love.

And for those children whose parents have failed them, who have not been the parent Christ would have had them be, you are not alone.  There is hope, there is a future and you are worth more that any precious jewel in the eyes of our Savior.

If you want to learn more about human trafficking, click here.

1 comment:

  1. made me cry again. i'm so grateful that God has chosen you to be the point-person for working with the survivors face-to-face. He uses you in wonderful ways!!! thanks for the link love!

    ReplyDelete